"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Barn Ramblings

I'd like to believe we've just been laying low, but I know better. This is probably just a calm before another storm of some sort *sigh*

The weather this week has been awful. Despite being out all day over the weekend, the horses had to stay in Monday and yesterday and it's looking to be the same way again too. They hate me for this I am sure!

It feels like primitive times when I feed the mini's; we don't have electric in their barn right now. Allen has a spotlight, motion sensored, hooked up outside it, but with an energy saving lightblub that takes an hour to get bright enough for me to see anything. I usually just feed them and clean their stalls in the dark on weeknights! God I hate daylight savings; but I know my way around so at least I have a clue of what I am doing!

I think our resident Barn Bitch, Savannah, the killer cat, has chased off our Luck-Luck. Lucky is the gray tabby we took in last winter. Her and Savannah don't/didn't always seem to meet eye to eye and it's been about a day and half since we've seen Lucky :( We're thinking she took off. I know I shouldn't get attached to barn cats, but it's hard when they aren't completely feral. I hope she's okay and warm wherever she is. And I hope she comes back soon.

We've only just begun winter and I am already thinking about what I want to plant in next years garden! It just kills me when I open up green beans for dinner and think, I could have grown and canned all this. Same with onions, potato's and for last nights chili, I could have used home grown peppers and jalapenos if I had grown them!! Well, we did do jalapenos but I didn't have any left!

I guess in today's economy, every little bit helps. I need to order hay again - ugh - hay. This is, without a doubt, the one thing I LOATH having to do with having my horses home with me. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if hay was still $1/bale, but were currently buying from someone who charges $4/bale - which is decent right now, but they don't invoice. And they don't allow payments! It's all or nothing. *Sigh*

No comments: