"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's Time!

I cannot believe, with the blizzard we are having at the moment, that I am thinking about and working on the vendor applications for this coming seasons Farmer's Markets :) It will be here before we know it.

We're hoping to get in on some markets this year that we didn't last year. It was really a lack of knowledge on our part more than anything; a learning curve if you will! I am also going to work on more formal letters to mail out to local restaurants about buying local [from us of course] for their Apple and Pear ...and Quince needs! (Although I think the Amish have us tagged for their Pears this season; last year they ordered from MICHIGAN before they realilzed we were selling!)

We'd like to sell some of our vegetables this year too. Allen is going to make a cold frame so that we can have different greens even past the growing season. It's also a must on my list this year for us to grown onions....which we need to get started NOW....I am so tired of the craptastic onions I buy at the store. They are terrible - they rot in a second and they are slimy- they just are no good! My mom is letting us use her growing light so we'll be getting all that going soon.

Last fall, we also purchased some heirloom seeds from local heirloom farmer Dawn at Harvest Thyme Farm. We bought some unusual things, like Easter Egg Radishes! Okay, I cannot recall if that was their exact name, but we were told they grow into really cool pastel colors like dyed Easter eggs :)

I have not been studying for my chemical license; I am undecided if I am going to get it this season. We did fine with the orchard and the "over-the-counter" chemicals we used last year so I am wondering if it is worth it. Other than I am sure, with the license, I could buy more and at wholesale pricing probably.

We've decided the first weekend in February is when we'll start pruning. Mom and I are going to a Local Food Cleveland Seminar on Entrepreneurial Farming! Should be interesting.....

In other farming news, my husband called to tell me their is a skinny cat at his job site today. Seems he feels bad for it [so do I naturally] and he was waiting for me to say 'Bring it Home'....to be continued......

No comments: