"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, February 11, 2011

Make-Shift Mash!

Ok, so I haven't had time to get to the feed store to pick up some mash for the horses. Since we've been in negative degree temperatures, I like to be able to give them a hot mash to help warm them :) It's a nice little treat. (And of course, Allen fluffs up lots 'o extra hay in their hay piles! What a nice guy! AND he goes into the house to get them warm water for their water buckets)

Since Gypsy & Romeo already automatically get their grain as a wet mash, I figured why not offer Apollo & Daisy's that way too. When you pour hot water over the pelleted grain in the winter, it mashes up very quickly and it is nice and warm. Then I like to mix in some carrots or applesauce/apples and some molasses (they LOVE molasses) and viola! It is like a warm bran mash, but it is their grain in disguise! Not that they care, they love their grain regardless, but on nights and mornings when it is -5 out, I bet they appreciate this :)

**pic coming soon, too cold this morning to get a decent one!***


1 comment:

Diana said...

Allison, Since I got the on demand hot water heater at the barn everybody has hot food and they really seem to appreciate it in this cold weather. I feed them linseed meal and rice bran and have to mix it with my hands so the hot water REALLY helps me.