"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, October 1, 2011

Baby Food: Peach Puree


Peach Puree

The Babe had his first taste of Peach Puree in the 6 month range.
He likes them. And he especially likes the puree a tad chilled when those big, bad teeth are trying to poke through.

I used, I think, Coral Star and Glowing Star varieties. I am not sure that matters much, but they were yellow fleshed peaches. I hear the white fleshed ones are even sweeter, but these were what the local orchard had on hand. And I did purchase their seconds. I canned and made jam with what I didn't use for baby food.


I peeled all the peached, removed their seed, and diced them.Too peel them easily, just do like you would a tomato. Score the skin on one end, dip them in boiling water for a minute and then dunk them in cold water :) The skin should peel right off for you. Let me say, DO THIS! I don't know what I was thinking and peeled them all by hand, with a peeler. OY! What a project and what a mess!

Once you dice them, throw them into a pot and simmer them until they start to break apart, becoming soft and mushy. Once they have reached that stage, put them into your processor of choice; I believe for the peaches, I used my blender on the 'puree' speed.


Simply puree until smooth, then pour into whatever storage containers you are using.


I left a weeks worth in the fridge, and then threw the rest into the freezer. And now, baby can enjoy 'fresh' peaches way past peach season! But I assume we'll need to use them up while he is still in 'puree-mode'!


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks great! I can't wait to try Lillian on solids. Josh and I may try to make our own baby food too, but we're not sure yet.

meemsnyc said...

What an amazing idea! I'm thinking for us adults, the peach puree would be great for smoothies and yogurt! Yummy.