"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, August 20, 2012

A Recipe...and things


I'm trucking along. Most of the time I still feel nauseous, which rocks -- NOT. Yesterday, I pulled it together to make a stir-fry for dinner because for whatever reason, that is what my mind was telling me I wanted to eat! I made it. And it was super easy and super delish, so I am sharing it with you today. Hubby couldn't believe how good it was and I believe his words to me were something like 'See how good it is when you don't spend two hours making it with 500 ingredients'! Ha - he's just a freaking comedian!

In other news, Gypsy had a rough day yesterday :/ She was out all day but seemed pretty stiff still. I watched her from the window most of the day while I canned more tomato sauce. I am not ready to throw in the towel on her yet - I am still holding out some hope. But yesterday was not a good day for her. This morning, she ever so politely already had the barn light turned on for me when I got outside and was anxious to get out of the barn. That was a good sign. She was stiff, but it seemed maybe there was a tad of improvement. And she walked out to the pasture a little faster than yesterday. So I am hopefully she'll look ok when I get home. She is loosing some weight though because she isn't eating her grain. I am hesistant to be too concerned on that yet because she is muching grass all day, but I would like to see more weight on her bones.

I took this photo of her last evening, right before dusk, with my cell through the kitchen window. Everyone else was tucked in their stalls for the night with hay, and she looked so peaceful.


So please keep my Gypsy in your thoughts and prayers.

And then go enjoy this super easy recipe! I altered it from a recipe I found in a BHG cookbook I have. You can obviously edit it to whatever you have on hand - the luxury of a stir-fry!

Simple Stir-Fry

1 cup Water
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (if you don't have, I am sure white vinegar is fine too)
2 Chicken Breast, chopped
1 Green Pepper, diced or sliced
8oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can Baby Corn
2 cloves of garlic
Peanut or Coconut Oil for stir-frying
Rice to serve it over

Mix your three liquids together and marinate the chicken in it for 30 minutes. Heat your oil in a wok or skillet, throw in all your veggies and fry up for 3 minutes or so. Then remove. Add more oil if neccessary. Then add in your chicken (saving marinade) and stir-fry just until no longer pink. Move chicken to outer edge of pan and dump in marinade liquid. Bring to a boil and stir it around with chicken for a minute or two. Then add your veggies back in and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Serve over rice.



1 comment:

Susan said...

Hearing about Gypsy brings back memories of the last weeks with my beloved Bailey (my cat). He'd have good days, but others, not so good. One day, I looked into his eyes and he just said, "it's time."
Your stir fry sounds wonderful--so full of fresh produce which must be what baby was craving:-D XOXO