"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, September 25, 2009

Ahhh The Morning Sunrise

It is mornings like this one that remind me how lucky I am to live on a farm!

Of course there are some mornings when I envy those who can sleep in and rise with the sun....or later! But waking up before dawn, stepping outside and letting that brisk, fall air touch your face, and catching a whiff of fresh hay makes these early mornings all worth it!

If your me, that 'whiff' includes also the smell of horses! My favorite! A scent I would bottle if I could. [I think I've mentioned this before] I am greeted by the hungry, anxious nickers of my horses and the obnoxious call of our miniature mule! It puts a smile on my face.

As I walk through to throw everyone their morning flakes of hay, I then catch a whiff of the ripening apples in the orchard! Ahhhhhh

I have the barn cats following me, hastily awaiting their breakfast, as if the mouse that was laying at the back door wasn't filling enough for them! [I constantly remind them to clean up after themselves and their midnight delights!]

By now, the sun is begining to rise and it is absolutely beautiful! It looks like cotton candy in the sky! If I was talented enough to take photographs of the skyline, I would post a daily blog simply on the sunrises we see at the farm!

As I finish up morning feed, I feel so bleesed to have the opportunity of caring for these animals. {and if you know me, you know I am not really a 'religious' person!] For having them be part of our family. And for all the pears I will be baking into butter tonight!

No comments: