"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, August 14, 2010

Random Saturday Ramblings

Today my day starting by Allen saying to me "Why don't you get out of bed and try to do something!" Hmmmmmm, maybe because I am pregnant and feel like I have a permanent hangover! In any event, he was right. The horses needs baths but it was TOO hot out for that just yet; too hot for me - let me clarify ;)

I decided to pick the 'snack apples' off the tree in our front yard and do something with them. They are SO good. I have no idea what kind of apple they really are and since they are pretty small in size, I call them a 'snack' apple. My nephew Benny was over the other night eating them like candy!

These beauties are super sweet and have a rosy tint to their flesh.

I felt like I was going to die after just picking enough to fill a 1/4 of the basket. Gosh, this prego thing really kicks my A!

One thing about these buggers being so small is that is was almost a waste of time to peel them on the apple peeler so I did them all by hand. It took me ALL DAY LONG. Yes, I had to periodically sit down and.....nap, but I started picking at noon and finished about 6:30ish maybe? 7 maybe. All for 6 pints of sweet applesauce! I cannot tell you my secrets to making it so delish ;)
Seriously though, did I mention being prego kicks my butt? Last year I would stand in the kitchen all day long, forget to eat and just can can can away. Today, I think I took a break from peeling before carpel tunnel set in and fell asleep on the couch for longer than I care to mention.


Then there is THIS one! He knows as soon as I bring a bushel basket in the house!! He undoubtedly ALWAYS picks the nicest looking apple out of the basket and takes off with it. Actually I think he got away with 5 this time before I got them all into the sink.
Dang, look at those claws! Would you believe I just clipped his nails about 2 weeks ago? Maybe he is taking pre-natal vitamins too?


No one gets HIS apples!

And this one.....she just makes herself at home anywhere she likes! Is that lipstick she is wearing??

2 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Awww, what cute little applies.

Wendy said...

wow, what a tiring activity for anyone - even not preggers!