"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

No Place Like Home

The Lilac's are in full bloom on the farm.

Sometimes, when I look at them and smell them, I get 'salty'. Why, you ask? Because instead of being home enjoying them, I have to go sit at work. I know to be grateful I have a good, secure job, but dang! Sometimes the importance of it seems so...so.... not important, when I could be at home enjoying all there is to take in on the farm in the Spring.

Lilacs
Apple Blossoms
The smell of the horses mixed with the warm Spring air......
Watching my baby smile
Planting the garden

Oh the things we could enjoy if we didn't have to work, right!

So, I did the next best thing, I suppose; Have hubby pick me a bouquet that I can take to work and sit on my desk. The sweet smell that fills my office is wonderful with the Lilacs, but even still, it just makes me miss what I could be enjoying at home! No place like home!

2 comments:

SherryBee said...

LOVE THESE!!!! I had my first cutting off my own lilacs a few weeks ago...they didn't smell though.....Growing up in Iowa, our entire alley was lined with lilacs!
....another story! My youngest son, living in California called me...remembered to call me...on my birthday, at 8:30 p.m....he had just gotten out of an evening class...and smelled lilacs. He remembered the times I made him go with me to cut lilacs from the empty home yards, then, remembered it was MOMS birthday! LOL
What a great tangible memory of mom for him! I LOVE IT!
SherryBee in AZ

meemsnyc said...

Ahhh, nothing beats lilac. Our rescued lilac bush only produced 3 flowers, which is more than I thought it would since we transplanted it and I thought it might not make it. They are the best scent!