"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, February 4, 2011

Horses Know

For anyone that doubts that 'Horses Know' - shame on you.

What a vague, but yet such universal statement - Horses Know.

I posted this statement on my Facebook the other night and all my FB friends who are horse people knew exactly what I was talking about.

Author Linda Kohanov states it best in her books when she makes a statement along the lines of if you try to pretend to be something you are not, or you try to mask your true emotions around a horse, the horse knows. And the horse doesn't like. And the horse will not lie. If you want honesty and compliance from the horse, you must be honest with yourself first.

I never try to mask anything around my horses. They know who I am and how I feel any time I am in their presence. And the other night was just an honest, touching reminder of this. I won't lie, it was a bum night. I was feeling down (pregnancy hormones I suppose) and just needed a good sigh and weep. I went into the barn while the horses we eating their dinner. Gypsy came right up to me and nuzzled me with her muzzle. She knew. I then when into Apollo's stall and buried my face in his mane (my favorite place on earth) and he stopped eating, turned his head towards me, and nuzzled me. He knew too. And gosh darn it if that combined with my prego hormones didn't set me off even more :)

But they knew. And they were there for me. And for that, I can only thank them by always being myself around them. And to think, what a virtue to have a being who wants nothing from you but for you to be yourself. How special it is to have that.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Awww, sweet horses! And how true that is.

I can remember on numerous occasions getting "hugs" back from my horse. I would wrap my arms around his neck and press in against his chest, and he would tuck his head in all tight against my back and wrap me up. :)

meemsnyc said...

Horses, and many other animals definitely have a 6th sense and can feel the emotions. It's nice that they comforted you when you were feeling down.

BTW, your question about the marigolds. I am planning to plant them near my melons because I read that Marigold deters beetles that attack melons. I also will plant them in between tomatoes too because they deter white flies that attack tomatoes. You can pretty much plant marigolds around any veggie except beans. Beans hate marigolds.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Allison ~ I totally understand. Both with our horses, and with our 22 sled dogs. They know...and they are always there for us.

Thank you for finding my Blog, and for the comment. I'm grateful, for it took me back to yours. You have an amazing Blog ~ I can't wait to dig deeper.

Sherry