"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baby Wipes Container 'Project'

I use the term 'project' for this lightly since it took a whole 5 minutes to do! But, what a genius idea I thought ... though I am sure someone else, somewhere, has already done it!

I decide to reuse these millions of containers I have been trashing to get some of my seeds started in. Let't check it out, shall we.

I filled it about half way or so with soil and then put my seeds in. Then I put a light covering of soil over my seeds.



Then, I misted them up nice and good :)




Here is what I LOVE about this container...it has an attached lid to help create a greenhouse effect. In late Winter and early Spring, our house is usually colder than most peoples ;) So this is super. And if I set it outside, it could be like a mini minature cold frame, no?!



Here is the other secret perk, a little window ;)




So, I will keep you update on how my seeds do in this container. For those wondering, I planted an Heirloom Cuc seed, Ruby Wallace's Old Time White. This is a white cuc that is good for making pickles and if you use white vinegar in your recipe, your pickles will stay white.




So tell me, what kind of containers have you reused to start your seedlings in?



2 comments:

Laura said...

We've made pots out of rolled newspaper, which work well. Plastic containers usually need holes drilled in them for drainage. Hope this works wonderfully!

Rachel said...

Oooh, cool! That's a neat idea! I know we'll be having piles of these to use in the near future too! ;)