"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, April 25, 2011

..Coffee...

I don't think this getting up 100x a night thing is getting easier, I just think I am getting used to it.

Over the past few weeks, when the sun goes down, I get sad. I get sad because it means night time is upon us. And for me, that means listening to my husband and dogs snore away sweet dreams [seriously, SO annoying] while I lay in bed, eyes burning, listening to a baby scream for god only knows what. What is it this time? Hungry? Uncomfortable? Wide Awake and Bored? Landmine explode in your diaper...again?

So up I go...hobbling all over the place because I am dead tired, did I mention my eyes burn, and I cannot catch my footing. Meanwhile, I am trying to carry a 12# screaming baby :) And yes, last night I slammed straight into the wall, falling over, versus walking out the doorway to get to the nursery. YAHOOOOOOO - these are the things your mother doesn't warn you about ;)

So how, do you ask, do I manage to get myself psyched up for these lovely evenings?

COFFEE!

I dream, while my taste buds twinkle, thinking about that wonderful aroma I will smell in the morning. I dream about it piping hot with my latest flavored creamer waiting patiently in the fridge. Yes, I am dead serious. I help myself make the most of the twilight hours by thinking about how I get to have coffee when they are over!!

And don't fool yourself - I used to just be a morning coffee drinker. Now I drink it during the day and I love to make a pipping fresh pot at night too. And the craziest part? Caffeine has no affect on my as far as drinking it to stay awake!?

3 comments:

Diana said...

Allison, Hang in there. This too shall pass!

Rachel said...

LOL! I don't mean to laugh at how rough it is for you, I'm so sorry about that...but your descriptive writing about it is comical! Oh, what joys to look forward to in new motherhood, LOL!

katiegirl said...

Maybe when you get out of bed you can jab your husband with your elbow so he gets disrupted too. Heehee. :-)