"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, December 5, 2009

Officially Winter

There is one sure way I mark that Winter has arrived here on the farm - FROZEN WATER BUCKETS. And that my friends, was official for the 2009-10 Winter Season as of this morning. *sigh*

Oh how I am really not prepared for this yet! I had no ice scooper to break up the ice and scoop the chunks out of the water. So naturally, I used my hand, which lasted a good 15 seconds before I had to stick it back in my pocket for fear my fingers might fall off. And I had 4 buckets to tend too.

The water pump we used last year is not working right now (what a surprise)! So I have been using a hose hooked up to a house spicket. Well, hoses don't work all to well when they are frozen. So now, I have to carry a massive bucket to the house, fill it, waddle to the barn with it, dump in someones bucket, and repeat then 3 more times!

Ahhh yes, Winter, I've missed you so! The least you can do, if you have to be here, is drop some snow on the ground so the horses can go roll around in it!

No comments: