"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Harvest Party Wk 4 & Apple MEATLOAF!


It's Week 4 for the Apple Harvest Party....right? Week 4?
Well, anyways, I have a recipe this week and it was shockingly delicious!

Add in your recipe using Apples (or Pears or Quince) in Mr. Linky below, check out those who've also participated, and then scroll down for my Apple Recipe this week!



Apple Meatloaf!!

I have yet to find a meatloaf I like...until now. I think I can finally say I found one I enjoyed and will make again! Last week I was a guest speaker at an event our local Metroparks holds speaking about being an 'Apple Farmer'. The main course of the meal served to those in attendance was Apple Meatloaf. I was skeptical because 1. I HATE meatloaf, and 2. adding apples didn't make it sound any more appealing to me.

I stand corrected!

You must try this meatloaf! The recipe comes from ECO-Chef Rae. It makes a pretty hefty portion; easily serving at least 4 people!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Ginger Gold Apples (or a semi-sweet apple with a nice, tart balance)
  • 2.5# Ground Beef
  • 1.5 C stuffing mix
    • Few notes: Don't use Stovetop - it has MSG in it.
    • I forgot to get stuffing mix at the store so I used Panko Bread Crumbs and threw in some dried Sage
  • 1 large Onion, minced
  • 5 tsbp prepared mustard with horseradish
    • I probably threw in a little over a tbsp of horseradish - just add enough to suit your tastes
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3/4 C Ketchup
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
Combine all ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Place in an 8" loaf pan and bake for 1h 15 min to 1h 30 min (depending on your oven) at 350 degree Fahrenheit.


I know this picture probably doesn't look too appetizing, but let's face it, there is nothing sexy about Meatloaf!

No comments: