"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Cornbread



There was just enough of a chill in the air this past weekend for me to convince myself to make some Chili! So of course, chili calls for Cornbread. This is a slightly adapted recipe from on I found by Cat Cora.

Homemade Cornbread

5 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 Cup Cornmeal
3/4 Cup AP Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Cup Kefir
2 Eggs
---
Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, and mix your eggs and kefir in another. Then add the melted butter to the egg/kefir mixture. Now add in the dry ingredients just until mixed in. Pour into a 6-8" cast iron skillet and bake on 425 degrees for 20 minutes or so...remove from the oven as soon as it starts to get golden on top and tooth pick comes out clean!

7 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Kefir!? Interesting, I will have to try this one. I love kefir. And cornbread of course! Any time we have chili, there is always cornbread :0)

Vanessa said...

It looks yummy! Do you make your own kefir?

Jill said...

I have to ask...what is Kefir? It is a milk like product?

Unknown said...

Vanessa - Yep, I just started making my own :)

Jill - yes, you could say a milk product ;) It is like a fermented milk chocked full of probiotics and good things!

Susan said...

I am definitely trying this recipe! I love cornbread, especially with a bowl of soup. Glad to see you're baking : )! XOXO

Aarthi said...

First time here…I am glad that I reached here...Straight away bookmarking your blog..

This recipe looks good...Thanks for the recipe dear…
If you have time do check out my blog..
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Aarthi

Susan said...

Allison~Can you email me your address? I have something to send you. Susan