"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, September 16, 2011

Leaving your Husband Home Alone

Yesterday was an extremely busy day for me from before sun up until way after sun down! I was traveling for my day job and had a guest-speaking appearance to talk about our Orchard in the evening. I probably clocked 500+ miles driving yesterday.

In any event, yesterday was my moms day to watch the babe while I was at work and she was able to watch him into the evening as well. This, I figured, would be easier for my husband so he could get some picking done in the Orchard when he got home, and hopefully accomplish a few other things, since our to do list is as long as the miles I clocked yesterday.

So, hubby is home alone all evening. All he has to do is turn out the horses (and bring them back in for the night with some dinner), feed and walk the dogs and at the least, pick.more.apples.

When I got home, around 10ish, the sink, which was empty and clean when I left in the morning, housed enough dirty dishes for a dinner party for 3-ish!? And I guess he thinks the dishwasher houses boxes of food because he clearly doesn't get that it holds DIRTY DISHES.

This morning, he came in frazzled (whats new!) after he fed the horses; seems the donkey was sharing a stall with Romeo (because someone forgot to lock their divider door) and Romeo was still wearing his halter and lead from being brought in from the pasture last night!!!

Now, all I need to do is figure out what the heck could have caused such chaos for the husband, being home alone last night, for him to have left things in such disarray! I assume it was because I wasn't home to hound him ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He probably thought, "gosh, I can watch a movie and drink a beer and nobody is here to care." LOL My husband built a chicken gate while I was gone yesterday so I can't complain, though we have many days like yours as well.

Susan said...

Allison~I hear you! When I was gone for 3 months, caring for Kelly, my daughters told him he better hire a cleaning crew before I got home! Thank goodness he did, but why don't they put away things after they're done with them? And, with the dishwasher right next to the sink, I always find dishes and glasses on the counter : ( I guess that's why we need them to "hound" them.
P.S. Please email me your address--I have a gift to send you! Susan

Unknown said...

GirlRural - You are SO right ;)

Susan - I know, dishwasher right next to the sink, what is so hard to understand about that :)

Lisa said...

When I was in the hospital after our third child was born, hubby was late one day coming to visit so I called him and asked him where he was. He response, "Do you know what it's like trying to get anything done with these two in the house?"
He also told me on my last day there that he couldn't bring me home because he was still trying to clean up. I told him the house was spotless when we left for the hospital and made him take me home. When I walked in there must have been 15 loads of laundry and dishes on every single counter space. His mom came in and yelled at me because I was folding laundry (I'd had a c-section) and I said, "You haven't seen the kitchen yet huh." She walked into the kitchen and I heard a gasp. It took her 2 1/2 hours to get the kitchen cleaned!
For some reasons, those things make men so endearing!

Susan said...

Lisa-It has to make them endearing! Today is our 43 anniversary...so I've had a lot of those moments! XOXO

marina said...

yes this is so familiar to me! Once I had to be at the hospital for something,and could not come home in time for dinner, so my husband took some frozen dumplings from the freezer,took the kids and went to his mom so that she cooked dinner for them!

alison@thisbloominglife said...

I think I hit the jackpot! Mine is tidier than me - oops! And early on I ruined some washing so now I'm not allowed in the laundry...and I don't miss it a bit LOL! I do all the cooking and family things to make up for my other downfalls.