"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Sunday, September 18, 2011

[Busy] Weekend Homesteading


Lots going on here! I am keeping  busy, that is for certain.
and, in all my 'busy-ness', I am still trying to get my Halloween decorations out! This is WAY late in the season for me to still not have them out! The boxes are in the living room, though!

Market time is busy for us and we're pretty much into full fledged apple picking. This week I am making Pear Butter, Apple Butter and Apple Sauce for next weekend's market.

Yet, in all my 'busy-ness', I managed to pick 2# of grapes from our grape vines and made Homemade Grape Juice. After I saw the post on Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Kitchen, I knew I had to try it out!


I also made my first batch of Homemade Yogurt. After I read about Stacy doing it, I knew I wanted to try this too! I go through a lot of yogurt; I like to throw in my own jams and granola and eat it at work for breakfast!

I had a speaking engagement this past week and Apple Meatloaf was served. I HATE meatloaf! I have tried, so hard, to find a meatloaf I like. I have yet to be successful, however, this Apple Meatloaf might just have changed my mind! Stay tuned .... recipe coming!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Allison~You do stay busy!! The grape juice looks so refreshing and I noticed grapes at the farmer's market this weekend, which I almost bought. I opted for Bosc pears and raspberries to combine for an usually good jam. Next week, maybe the grapes! XOXO

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh your grape juice looks awesome! My husbands grandfather used to grow Concord grapes and we would make our own grape juice. It was always so delicious!!

Unknown said...

Susan - I hope you'll share that recipe as I am picking our Bosc pears this week!!

Vanessa said...

Are your Halloween decorations Halloweeney or Fallish? I am getting all my Fall decorations out today!