"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, February 24, 2012

Real Food: Dinners

Maybe it's just me, but I hear topics about 'real' food and 'whole' foods come up more and more lately. I was in line at the library the other day checking out Heidi Swanson's books (love, by the way) and I noticed the lady in line behind me scoping out what I had. She then just asked me which books they were, showed me she was in line to check out the DVD Knives over Forks, and the conversation went from there, as you can imagine!

Lots of people think I am crazy when I talk about how we eat and what we don't eat, or try not too. Usually, I get more murmurs and looks when it is in regards to feeding my son, more so than myself and my husband, but none the less. I don't police your plate, so don't police mine. Ok, anyways -- before I get off on a soap box!.....

I was talking to a co-worker of mine and this kind of topic came up. He mentioned his family really tries to eat healthy, but it is hard. Fair enough, I can understand that. And it amazes me how mislead marketing has people - sad really. Especially since I make a living in a professional marketing field ;) At the root of our conversation, after discussing how we don't eat cereal (as in Fruit Loops, Coco Puffs....), in which he was floored, he wanted to know "So, what do you eat?" "What do you eat of any sustenance?What do you make for dinner?"

I thought I'd share here, what I told him, in hopes that it will show even one more person it can be easy. Sometimes it takes a few more minutes than a frozen meal, but it is worth the extra few minutes. So, here is an idea of a weeknight run down of dinners for us.

Monday - Pork Chops in Cream Caper Sauce (I wasn't lying when I said we eat this dish at least once every other week!)
Tuesday - Roasted [Whole] Chicken with a veg & rice or mashed potato's
Wednesday - Leftover Chicken turned into eggrolls or chicken salad - depends what is in the cupboard!
Thursday - Pan fried (in coconut oil!) cubed steaks with sweet potato baked fries and sauteed garlic spinach - sounds kinda fancy, but super fast and super easy!
Friday - Salmon baked in foil with steamed broccoli & rice -- lots of butter on the veg & rice!

Seriously, these are all pretty quick and easy meals. Aside for the cook time for the whole roasted chicken, these meals can be on the table in under an hour. And if you aren't a fan of some of the options, let me throw out a few more, off the top of my head, that are super easy in a crock pot! How about: Shredded Beef Tacos or Winter Pot Roast with Parsnips & Carrots!

So, what do you think? Easy enough? What is a 'real' meal you make for your family regularly, on a busy weeknight?

4 comments:

~Jen said...

Our 'regulars"....
baked breaded chicken w/ REAL mashed potatoes
pork chops w/baked potato
either spaghetti pizza or baked ravioli
a simple breakfast meal- fry some potatoes with scrambled eggs or french toast!
get creative w/ pizza crust- bbq ckn pizza, parmesan ckn
quesadillas
and a roast in the crock pot almost once a week!

~Jen said...

It's also worth noting that I have lost 10lbs on weight watchers & have not eaten one pre-packaged, frozen food and yes, things like real butter and regular pb vs reduced fat pb are more points but I have still lost & going strong!

meemsnyc said...

Can I come over for dinner? Your meals sound amazing! I try to cook most of my meals too and use all natural ingredients. I don't eat sugary cereals either. I prefer plain old granola any day of the week. I still have to make an effort to make that homemade flavored creamer. I still buy the processed stuff!

Mary said...

This all sounds great. You are right though. so many people think that REAL foods are just too difficult. It is completely possible; it just takes some planning. (The evidence that you have a meal plan written in advance proves that!)

I'd love to hear about it if you have a tried and true method for the sweet potato fries. I still haven't managed truly crispy ones. I've tried countless recipes too!