"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Stretching a Meal: Chili

In trying to adapt a 'real food' diet in our home, many challenges present themselves along the way. Lunch can be one of them with both my husband and I working outside the home.  When I make dinner, I try to make things that will leave leftovers for at least me to take to lunch. Here is one meal that will stretch you a few days with pantry staples!



Dinner: Make up your favorite batch of chili & cornbread. Cook a package of spaghetti noodles up too; these will be used with tomorrow's lunch.

Lunch next day: Chili on top of spaghetti noodles, topped with cheese and sour cream for some Cincinnati style chili! I use these small canning jars to carry condiments for my lunch if I don't want to mix them in when I pack it.

Lunch day 2: By now you may have had enough Chili , especially if you stretched it more than a day! Let's completely change things up and move on to something with an Asian flare! Use up the rest of your cooked noodles to make yourself an Asian Noodle Salad for lunch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're left-over eaters too. I usually make a double batch of whatever I'm cooking, so there's enough for another dinner later in the week, a couple of lunches, and sometimes even a small bowl to go in the freezer for an "I'm too tired to cook" emergency.

Bee Girl said...

Chile! Thanks for reminding me! I love a good pot of chile and some cornbread!

BTW-I've tagged you in a little blog love linky fun! Check it out: http://skymindedandevergrowing.blogspot.com/2012/02/little-blog-love.html

meemsnyc said...

That's a great idea! I always try to find ways to make two or three meals out of one.

Susan said...

I made chili on Valentine's Day because it was rainy and the chill in the air just dictated it. Since there are only two of us...after one more dinner of chili, I usually turn the remainder into a casserole and get a third meal. It is one of those dishes that goes a long way! XOXO

Tom Stewart said...

Left over Chile can be used in so many ways! My favorite is Chile Dogs!
Dogs covered with Chile, onions and cheese and maybe a beer on the side!
That my Friend is "Good Eats"!
Tom