"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, June 7, 2012

8 Week Update: Chickens


The girls are 8 weeks now.


They are becoming more and more adventurous.
Every day they come out of the coop, they stray further and further.
Yesterday we couldn't find them! They were out in the orchard, buried in tall grass under one of the trees.


They are quite to particular compost'ers too!
They don't like pineapple and they pick the chard leaves off the stem. No stems for these ladies.
But berries, oh berries, they'll take those any day of course!


We are at the halfway point, I hope, until they start laying eggs. Maybe a tad longer than halfway depending on how soon they decide to do so. As I understand it, they can start laying anywhere between 16-20 weeks of age.


What's that old saying?

'Birds of a feather flock together'

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

OMG they are so cute!!! I love when their big girl feathers start coming in... They look like gangly teenagers. Love that chicken butt pic! Nothing is cuter than a fluffy chicken butt!

Unknown said...

They are growing up so fast!!! That is so funny that they are picky. They really are pretty chickens. I cant wait for the first laying of the eggs!

Nancy said...

My chickens are not big fans of plain lettuce. Spoiled brats!

Susan said...

I love to hear the "treats" my sister feeds her ladies; I know they're big fans of fruit too. I so wish we could have them here, but watching yours is the next best thing. XOXO

Wendy said...

ha! Love that last photo.