"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, June 4, 2012

Harvest Monday, June 4, 2012


Harvest has been all about the lettuce this past week! And I am quite ok with that.
We planted Crisp Mint Romain and we're loving it.

Along with lettuce though, we pulled our first few beets and 2 carrots to see how they were doing.
The beets looked great in my opinion - it is our first time growing them so it's been trail and error in choosing when to harvest.

Hubby doesn't remember which carrot seeds he planted. We pulled an orange one and a reddish one, so I am guessing at the least, he planted some Atomic Red carrot seed I had left over from last year.

The beets were roasted with dinner and the leftovers went into my lunch salad the next day.

We're so nice, we even let the horses enjoy the first carrot harvest of the season, greens and all. And of course, you know the spoiled ladies of the coop took away with all the beet greens!



Later, over the weekend, we pulled more beets and the rest of the carrots. We plan to plant a new patch.


These were the Detroit Red Beets.
We still have Bulls Blood Red Beets in the ground.

Beet & Carrot Harvest

The Chard is growing in nicely and we picked our first big harvest of it on Saturday.
Hubby holding part of the Chard harvest

More Chard!!


And we have begun to pick our Alaska Shelling Peas. Someone may or may not have been trying to steal them right out of the colander before they were even shelled!

This post was linked up for Harvest Monday over at Daphne's Dandelions. Hop on over to check out other bloggers harvest from the past week.

17 comments:

Liz said...

Nice chard, I think this is the first week in ages when I didn't harvest any. Very remiss of me and I'll have to make up for it this week.

kitsapFG said...

Pea theivery from garden helpers is a real hazard! LOL! Actually I am very guilty of eating LOTS of them before they make it into the house.

Beautiful harvests of beets, carrots, and swiss chard.

Susan said...

What a harvest!! I'm afraid it's going to be July before we have anything close to that. I can imagine all the recipes you will be making with this bounty of veggies--so jealous;-D

Vanessa said...

The beets look great! I wish I liked beets because most people seem to have good luck with them.

Camille said...

Your chard is beautiful! Getting hungry for lunch reading this post! LOL!

Barbie~ said...

hehe- half the time the shelling peas don't make it inside at our house. The other half the time we eat them AS we shell them. :-D

~TastyTravels~ said...

Great harvest! Lovely beets and carrots! Oh and peas...yum!

Julie said...

Those are some big chard leaves! Very nice beets and carrots too- I say your trial and error with beets is working pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Nice carrots!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I am jealous of your beets! They are so pretty. Do the two varieties taste really different? I grew beets for the first time this year and am amazed at how sweet and delicious home grown beets are!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I am jealous of your beets! They are so pretty. Do the two varieties taste really different? I grew beets for the first time this year and am amazed at how sweet and delicious home grown beets are!

Andrea said...

Beautiful big healthy Chard leaves!
The beets and peas look pretty good too!

Barbara Good said...

Loving the beet(roots), what are you going to do with them all. I grew them last year and have some tiny ones in the garden now - for some reason I planted one lot of seeds before these ones that didn't come up.

Unknown said...

CharmCityBalcony - I can't really say for sure that I taste a real difference in the beets, but the color is a little different.

Daphne Gould said...

I so love carrots pulled fresh from the garden. I can't wait for mine to be ready.

Mary Hysong said...

Lovely beets and what huge chard; I usually pick mine small to have raw in salads, tho sometimes I let it grow to eat cooked.

Bee Girl said...

What an amazing harvest!!! Your beets look wonderful! Congrats :-)