"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Simple Shrimp Eggrolls...with Sauerkraut!


This recipe happened kinda by accident.


I needed to make something for lunch on Sunday. A few thoughts I had didn't work because I was missing ingredients. I had some mini frozen shrimp still in the freezer from when I made Fishmarket Salads. I had some frozen eggroll wrappers leftover from a previous eggroll adventure. And I had some Sauerkraut fermenting on the counter in my Ferment-O! Duh, Shrimp Eggrolls, right?

Don't expect precise measurements here. For one, I rarely follow measurements to the 'T' ...drives my sister nuts :) For two, I threw these together with what I had on hand.

Ingredients
1/2 bag of frozen shrimp
egg roll wrappers
sauerkraut
soy sauce

Defrost the shrimp and then let it sit in a bowl of soy sauce for a little bit in the fridge.
Chop up your sauerkraut fine enough to be stuffed into egg rolls.
Make sure your wrappers are thawed.
Preheat your oven to 400* F
Mix your Shrimp and Sauerkraut together, place a dab onto each wrapper, roll them up and place them seam side down on a baking sheet lined with foil or a silpat. Brush the tops with some olive oil and bake for 10-12 minutes.

When they are done, give them a few minutes to cool and dip in soy sauce!

Other ideas for filling - some shredded carrot. I was going to add bean sprouts but I figured the kraut was enough!

Other dipping sauce ideas: add some sriracha to your soy, or some wasabi!



1 comment:

Susan said...

The sauerkraut intrigues me and I could mix shredded carrot, a little finely chopped green onion and maybe the bamboo sprouts you mentioned instead of shrimp. Thanks for a quick recipe!