"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wearing Down

It has hit us on the farm! The FLU :(

Well, it has hit Allen at least. I am still trucking along.

We've been super busy with apple picking....have I mentioned this already!? This week is no different. It is like apples are falling from the sky and now the Quince are almost ready too. I can't do it alone! And my right hand is down for the count! UGH

Last night even the dogs begged me to sleep in the spare room so we didn't have to be within breathing range of Allen's germs! If it weren't for the fact that he would have flipped out on me, I would have ran through the bedroom this morning spraying a can of Lysol.

Yesterday we had a 20 bushel order of deer apples. I got 19 picked. So we were out 5 bucks! We also have 20 bushels of apples in the front garage and as of now, only 3 are reserved for order. We have a million bushels still hanging on the trees.

Friday I sent out mass emails to local restaurants in regards to our Quince in the event that any of their chefs would have a use for it. I spoke with a farmer in Washington State who grows Quince and the Seattle restaurants are her biggest buyers for her Quince. Wouldn't you know I have yet to get ONE response from any of those emails - UGH.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a promising market this Saturday....but I hear they are calling for snow flurries - EKKKK! Last Saturday we didn't get to go; with all the rain, and the terrible weather Friday night, we didn't get enough picked to make the trip.

This morning was chaos as I had to tend to two nutcase dogs, handle all the morning barn chores and get myself out the door and looking presentable for a visit from the company president today at work.

I am hoping, coming January 1, I may be able to take a day to sit down and not freak out at the fact that I am sitting down....doing nothing....and if I see a dust bunny roll across the floor, I hope I have enough self control to let it keep rolling!

No comments: