"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Sunday, November 22, 2009

Materialism on a Farm!

Sometimes it is more than just the material things in life that matter. And the longer I live on my farm, the more I realize that so few people actually see things this way. *Sigh*

I am usually one to handle criticism, albeit constructive! And the usual, casual remark here and there, but lately, it seems as if my moto should be "If you don't have anything nice to say, then SHUT UP because I didn't ask you anyways!"

Although when I say we live on a farm, it isn't a full blown working dairy farm or anything of that nature. But for just my husband and I, it sure seems like it; 4 horses, 2 dogs, cats coming and going, 120-ish fruit trees and 5.5 acres to maintain PLUS the home. Without rehashing what a typical day consist of for us, after our 8-hour work day, I can assure you, it doesn't leave time for much more.

In addition to the time it requires, it doesn't all come without a price. My horses ARE NOT livestock. They are my pets....my children. They EAT - I have to FEED them. Their care cost money. Same with the dogs. Same with the cats.

The trees don't produce an apple (or pear or quince) worth selling or eating on their own. They need nurtured and cared for. And as sweet as "organic" sounds, it ain't that easy so chemicals and equipment are required from time to time. And that is not anymore easier either!

So where I am going with this is, when people are over and constantly making comments about how we should be doing things, I would like to tell them, that if they feel so strongly about it, maybe they should walk a week in my shoes....or donate their paychecks to me.

Let me give you some examples that as of late, come across to me the same way as nails on a chalkboard!

- Allison, you need a leaf blower/weed wacker, mulcher mower
* You're right, those things would all be nice. Do you know what the grand total on that would be?

- Allison, you NEED city water. Then you wouldn't have so many issues with your water.
*Really? I don't NEED anything. City water would run us upwards of $8,000-ish to install and THEN you now have a monthly water bill. I realize half of that $8k can be financed - super, another monthly payment for something - but the other half cannot. I am not growing money on my fruit trees.

-Allison, I'd like to see a mantle over your fireplace.
* Me too, wanna build one for me?

-Allison, your dogs need shocker collars or professional training.
*That'd be great! Are you a professional trainer looking for a pro bono case or possibly you have 2 training collars you no longer need? You know, for 2 of those collars in a range distance of what we need, we looking at $250 minimum

-Allison, you need some furniture in this room.
*Really? I thought that the couch is furniture?

-You need a truck! Your poor car has taken a beating
*SIGH - no comment!!!

This is just a FEW EXAMPLES of things I am constantly told. I seem to be managing just fine without all these added adjustments. Sure, some would make my life easier, but having bills we cannot afford to pay sure wouldn't! Sometimes, it is just more important to me that my horses have hay to eat, rather than me having a mantle over my fireplace. But I guess so few see this.

No comments: