"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It's that time of year...


Grass introductions!

Apollo finds his crack...a clover patch!

My favorite old gal!

Typical Pony - grass is always greener on the other side...


Spring pastures are lush and welcoming in my neck of the woods this time of year so I figured now might be a nice time to refer back to my post on Pasture Maintenance and Spring Grass for your horses.

We don't want any horse bellyaches out there so read up if you aren't sure how long to have your horses out on the spring grass! This will be the 4th spring/summer here on the farm for the big horses and the 3rd for the pony and mini donkey! I'd say, at this point, I tend to be a tad - as in 10-ish more minutes each time - more lenient in their grazing introductions just because they have been around the grass long enough now, throughout the seasons, that their bodies have had time to acclimate. But, none the less, they don't go out on it like gang busters! It is still a process!

Any questions about turning your horses/donkeys/mules/ponies/drafts out on pasture? Feel free to ask!



1 comment:

Susan said...

Not being a horse owner, I never knew that about how long to graze in grass. Your "old" gal is looking pretty good enjoying her spring brunch! XOXO

BTW...Allison, your name was chosen for the April apron and I will send it out today with love<3Susan