"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Heirloom Cuc's


I have 3 different heirloom variety Cucumber's growing in the garden this year. One is the Ruby Wallace Old Time White Cuc's -- more on them later.

The other two are pictured below; Parisian Pickling Cuc's and Fin de Meaux Cuc's.
The pen is in there to give you and idea of size since I couldn't find a ruler :) The pen is about 6" long.

So, about these Cuc's.
I ordered them from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.


The Fin de Meaux seen here I let grow to long. [Hey! I am learning!] According to the seed packet, I should have picked them at 2" long! They are great for making Cornichon pickles with, but my problem is, I can't harvest enough at one time to get enough to make a batch of Cornichon pickles with them! So, Garden 2012 note - Bigger Patch for Cuc's! Right now I am harvesting enough to make a jar or two of Fridge Pickles so I continue to experiment with those recipes.

The Parisian Pickling Cuc, same thing. I am letting them grow too long I think! I believe that the one on the right was picked at a better size, but it still could have been picked a little smaller. These are a Gherkin type pickle and I envisioned making sweet Gherkin batches with this one, but again, I am not yet harvesting enough to make a full batch. So, fingers crossed, maybe soon, they will just go gang busters!

I think I may try to direct seed more of both here soon and see if I can get a late harvest from them as well.

Has anyone every planted either of these varities? If so, what has your experience with them been like?

3 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Never planted them, but they look like they'd be wonderful as pickles! Find a recipe that you can make pickles jar by jar, and you won't have to worry about having harvesting a lot at once.

Tami said...

I haven't tried either of these varities either but did try BC Beit Alpha. They recommend picking small too but I've let them get big and they seem fine. What a pain it is trying to get enough to can a batch up. I hear ya!

Jeana said...

I haven't tried to grow any gherkin type cucumbers. I'm just trying out bread and butter recipes and haven't had any that I have been happy with. I would love to know if you have a sweet gherkin recipe that is good.