"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Sunday, September 6, 2009

Canning, Cleaning and Cooking....oh my!

Three day weekends, to me, are all about anxiety! It gives me extra time in my normally "unnormal" routine, which in turn makes me anxious about getting done all the things I have put on the back burner...which are, in no particular order: canning, cleaning & cooking! [Oh my!]

It is this time of year that summer is starting to wind down and so we have an abundance of vegetables from our garden. They either a.) go to waste or b.) get pawned off on friends & family. It is inevitable that in mid-winter, I will think 'Geee, sure would have been nice if I'd canned some of those tomato's'. The other problem with canning is that I am such a freak about being worried I won't do it down to the exact science I have been taught and read, and then we might contract botulism and die :0

It is also with the winding down of summer that the house is desperately in need of it's spring cleaning ;) We are both outdoor people, and when the weather is nice, it's really hard to keep myself inside to do something as boring as cleaning. So, it is this time of year when the white trim in my house starts to look gray and the dust bunnies on the wood floors start to crawl towards to middle of the room....and the dust collecting on tables and entertainments stands start to resemble something stored in grandmas attic!

And of course, three day weekends also make me feel like I have to take some extra time to whip of something more creative than ramen. Don't get me wrong, again, Allen and I both love to cook, but it seems to be something we both enjoy spending more time doing when the doors won't open because there is 6 ft of snow on the patio. Oh wait, when that happens, we'd rather be outside on the 4wheeler and watching the horses run through snow drifts ;)

So, as the last day of this 3-day, Labor Day weekend, is upon the horizon, I have to wonder why in gods name we both decided to take off this Thursday & Friday of work too! Am I TRYING to drive myself crazy!?

No comments: