"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Canning: Whole-ish Tomato's


On Sunday I finally took care of the 10#'s of Roma tomato's a friend gave to me :)

I went by this tutorial from Marissa over at Food in Jars.

This was actually my first time canning tomato's! And it wasn't as bad as I had expected!


Hubby cored the 'maters...because he said he 'liked' to do that!? Ok - whatever floats your boat! Because that is one part I wouldn't particularly enjoy!

I then boiled them for a minuter or 2, plunged them into cold water, and then peeled them - Super Easy!

After they were peeled, they went into the jars, processed for 85 minutes, and

VIOLA!
Canned Tomato's ready for marinara or whatever else I need tomato's for! And let me tell you, I go through a lot of canned 'maters so hopefully my friend has many more to give away!! I'd love to be able to put up more than these 3 quarts and a pint. That might last me a month!

 This post is linked up to Sidewalk Shoes and the Garden Tuesday Party!

8 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your tomatoes look so lovely in the jars. Now you will be able to enjoy them all winter long...lucky you. I'm visiting from Gardening Tuesday. Hope you have a great day.
Sam

Sunray Gardens said...

Canning is what my brother's doing now also. Thanks for stopping by. If looking for new followers please come by again.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Jill said...

Oh how I wish I had all of those maters!

Mary said...

Way to go! I haven't canned tomatoes yet. It was on my list for this year, but our Roma's never produced anything worth canning. Hopefully this fall will be much better!

Debi said...

They look picture-perfect. I know you will be so happy to bring out a jar of those in the winter months.

Suzanne said...

I get so much satisfaction from seeing a bunch of jars of something I canned on my counter. Love canned tomatoes -- they make the best spaghetti sauce in the winter months!

Vanessa said...

They look great! Isn't it crazy how so many tomatoes makes just a couple of cans.

HolleyGarden said...

They look great! First time canning? I bet you're hooked now!