"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pondering Productiveness

Things have changed since having the babe...obviously! I am still able to do everything I did pre-babe, but their are changes within. For example - the horses don't get groomed every day and their stalls are now cleaned once a day. {I know, I was one of those manics who cleaned stalls in the morning and evening...but, no secret here, it is a stress reliever for me! Not a chore. Anyways...} The poor dogs are seeing a tad downward shift in my patiences these days ;) The laundry piles up a tad higher than normal. The time I have in the evenings for 'me' has slimmed down considerably {not complaing, just sayin'}. The dirt that accumulates along the baseboards hangs around a few days longer than oh who am I kidding, that hasn't changed! ha!

Anyways, lately it seems that by the time I get home from work, take care of the babe's need, the horses & the dogs [and god bless hubby because he helps me with all this too on top of things he needs to do], dinner and then tackle things like weeding in the garden, laundry etc etc, it is 11pm before I can sit down to relax and breath. And let's be honest, by that time, all the things I thought about while I was at work, that I couldn't wait to get home and do, are but a thought gone by because I am P.O.O.P.E.D! So I usually end up konking out and then the next thing I know, the alarm is going off {or a baby is crying, take your pick} and I am sleeping in 10 minutes too long and rushed to start this groundhog day all over again.

So I am pondering. Could I be more productive with my time if I woke up earlier {LAWDDDD help me} to get things accomplished? This means, of course, I couldn't be tucking in at 11 at night because there is no way I'd be able to function any earlier and more productively than I currently do! Productive being the key word here.

If I could give myself even, say, 90 minutes of time to do things before my normal morning schedule kicks in (getting myself and babe out the door!), would I feel better about my day. Things I could try to accomplish would include one load of laundry into the wash and then dryer (forget folding - I can do that some other time. Point is, the load is washed!).  I could feed the horses their breakfast. I so miss doing this! Since the babe, this has been hubby's responsibility. I could prep something for dinner, which would open more time for me after work? Yes? No? Who knows? I could stroll through the orchard and check out the apples, coffee in hand - yes please! Check out the gardens ... pull a few weeds ... pick a few cucumbers....


This is sounding pretty great - but, can I seriously get up at, say 5ish, without being dead by 10am? And dragging the rest of the day? I don't know. But I am thinking I should give it a try. All I know is, this thing called working a day job from 9-5 is really cramping my style. The WHOLE day, ok, the majority of the day, is spent away from home, at work. What a DRAG.

8 comments:

MAYBELLINE said...

If you can, scrap working away from home. If you can, allow yourself to run your house AND take care of yourself. I did the 'Wonder Woman' thing & can tell you to drop working away from home if you can.

Debi said...

It's always challenging when you have the wee ones. Once you think you have a working schedule, it changes again. Multi-tasking and prioritizing was key for me and still is. I know you are one tired little mama at the end of your day. Don't skimp on the sleep, however.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

You are a wonderful mother, wife and lady. I won't be able to do that much like you do.

Nancy said...

I agree with Maybelline... but if you can't stay home full time, what about a part time job? Just a thought. :)

Shanon Hilton said...

I admire any woman that's a mom and goes to work full time. It's tough enough balancing the responsibilities of being a mom, let alone going to work every day. I don't know how you do it!

If you can, definitely find a way to stay home with your little one - even if it's only part time. Otherwise, I think you might run yourself ragged! Hugs. --S

HolleyGarden said...

You are doing so much! I didn't have any horses, or a garden, when my children were small, so I'm amazed at all you do. Maybe the crock pot can be your new best friend for easy dinners, and perhaps you could spend a few minutes strolling through the orchard while the baby is in a front backpack (not sure what they're called). It sounds like you have a very supportive and helpful husband. I hope you find a satisfactory schedule soon.

Tami said...

I don't have HALF the workload you do but I DO get up btwn 4:30 and 5 everyday. I can get SO much more done while the rest of the world is still snoozing. Try it. But you'll be in bed by 9:30-10pm.

Vanessa said...

Wow you do alot! But I know how you feel, I often think that work gets in the way of my life. I wish I could be a morning person, good luck with the endeavor!