"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, August 25, 2011

Picking Pears - Starkrimson


Have I mentioned we've begin the orchard harvesting?
No? :)

This past weekend we took our Starkrimson Pears to the Farmer's Market. These pears are very juicy when ripe and super delicious. People who clearly did not even have an intention to purchase any while at the market take one bite of the samples I set out and instantly they change their minds.


I told Allen that I wish I had a video camera set up to catch peoples reactions when they have a taste! You'd be surprised! I think too many people [myself included at one time] only knew the taste of a pear by those old, last years crop, wax balls you get at your local grocery store. And that is such a shame.

I did have someone even comment that at this past weekends market about how 'you really don't ever get ripe pears anymore'. So true lady! So true.

So anyways, these Starkrimson Pears, we only have one tree with this variety :( And they are gone...GONE already for the season! We picked 2 bushels from the tree and sold out at market. I have a few over ripe ones sitting in a basket that I'll mash up for some sauce and that's it! I need to remember to save more for myself! Gone for another season!


I couldn't resist though, and had one, or maybe 2, while we were picking!


And seriously, is this kid for real?! This is what he did while he watched his momma and daddy pick pears! Good thing he is learning early! Next year he'll be put to work!

6 comments:

Debi said...

Start those babies while they're young! So happy you did well at the market. No doubt the pears sold well. From your last post, they were beautiful in your baskets. We need to enjoy these fresh fruits while we can because when they're gone, they're gone.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Great idea to mash over-ripe pears for sauce. Shhh, don't tell. I usually throw over-ripe ones out. But not anymore thanks to you.
Sam

Jill said...

That is a beautiful pear!

Your son is all sunshine and light!

dr momi said...

Wow those pears look yummy! ...and they are so big! And your right, I hated pears when all I ever had was grocery store pears, but a juicy sweet tree ripe pear changed my mind one day! Next year the babe will be "throwing" them into the bucket :-)

Mary said...

Your kiddo is adorable! That grin would melt anyone's heart. Dr Momi is right, next year you'll be saying "gently" about a dozen times a minute as he tries to help. It will be fun though!

Vanessa said...

Wish we could taste the pears too! Yours look delicious! I bought some last week at our market and they were hard as baseballs and instead of ripening just sort of rotted.