"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dumb Comment of the Day

The other day at work there was someone in our office visiting from another system. I don't know him. He seemed like a nice person. We got to talking and a co-worker mentioned how I have horses. To make a long story short, this guy, the one I didn't know, said to me [enter Dumb Comment of the Day]:

"I used to have a horse. She tried to kick my wife. So I had to get rid of her."

He was dead serious. I was dumbfounded...though I know better and shouldn't have been. Really, dude!? REALLY? I could make a year of blog posts giving you reasons why you *think* your horse might have tried to kick, because, let's be honest, he is clearly an idiot in the world of horses and my guess is the horse probably didn't even attempt to kick, but for whatever reason, her action was interpreted that way. Poor horse. Or maybe not. Hopefully she is in a better home now with someone who KNOWS horses. Cripe!

Anyways, the next day, this article came to my attention by way of the Fugly Horse blog - and I.LOVE.IT. This guy couldn't have said it any better or more clear. And I hope, for that horses sake, this woman corrects her mistakes. Dang - people are so aggravating.

Article can be found here. Take the time to read it if you have horses, want horses, have ever considered owning or horse, or just plain ol' want to be better educated about horses in general. Actually, the underlying concept here can be applied to any pet I bet!

2 comments:

Tami said...

I read the article and agree with you that this would apply to anyone who has animals. I don't have horses, but I do have 3 dogs. I find myself in that "tango" of applying dog logic vs human emotions. I'm no dog whisperer for sure. But I have learned more about dogs from having a "pack" of them than I ever did by just having one dog.

Good post.

meemsnyc said...

People are aggravating. That was a stupid comment.