"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, August 4, 2011

Personalities for 4

My horses are very special to me. It would only take you but one visit to my blog to figure that out!

I love how they each have their own personalities and I know them like I know the back of my hand. Last night, when Hubby & I were bringing them in from the pasture, they all pulled one of their own little personality quirks that put a smile on my face and a fire in my heart.


I usually call for Apollo first - just habit. Then I clap my hands and say 'Time for dinner' [as if they haven't been feasting on grass already the whole time!] and undoublty, Apollo throws his head up like the wild animal he is and takes off from a stand still to a full, manic gallop and heads straight towards the gate - without regard for anything standing in his way -- including me :)


Gypsy, if she is not already waiting at the gate, saunters on over like the polite old lady she is. She patiently waits to be haltered and promptly moves out of Apollo's way. That is, unless only one of us is available to bring them in, which means they go one at a time. In that case, Gypsy is in a full fledged spaz attack because Apollo is out of her sight. As if she doesn't know where he went and that we'd be right back for her!


Daisy is hit or miss. Some days she makes you chase her and tests every single nerve you have. Other days, she allows you to halter her, but only after you walk to the very back of the pasture where she is at. Other days she causes a rodeo scene and gets Romeo going, bucking laps, around the pasture, and whomever is standing there with the halter and the lead. One thing is for sure though, when I call them as I am walking to the pasture, she doesn't flinch, turn an ear, or so much as lift her head from the blanket of grass she's drowning in!!


Romeo might be the cutest sight I have ever seen when I call his name. His head flys up from the grass and his poofy forelock looks like a bouffant sitting on his forehead! He just looks at me with this clueless stare, then promptly goes back to eating grass, usually with his head stuck through the fence rails. His motto is, 'the grass is always greener on the other side'.


I could sit out back all day and watch my horses just taking it all in ... munching on grass ...relaxing in the sun [on a nice, breezy day, of course] and reminding me that, it's the simple things in life...

3 comments:

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This is such a cute post! Your horses sound so adorable. I can see why you enjoy them so much.

meemsnyc said...

They definitely have personalities! I see it also in my in-laws horses! They each have an uniqueness about them. BTW, I did plant your cucumber seeds and I didn't label them very well. I don't know if my mutant cucumber came from your seed. It tasted fine, but it sure looked strange.

kitsapFG said...

I miss have a horse on the place, but I have two retired pasture ornaments that abide in the field behind our shop... they know I am an old horseman and come visit me often over the fence.