"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Zucchini Parmesan


This was good - really good! And I am not even a head over heels lover of Zucchini. But you know, it's that time of year. Zucchini is invading the gardens! I was going to bake the breaded Zucchini, but I knew my husband wanted a traditional fried kind, so I splurged. Here is what I did...


Ingredients:
2 Zucchini, cut into 1/4-1/2" rounds, laid out on a paper towel to suck out some of their moisture.
1.5 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
1 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 eggs
2 cans Diced Tomatos
1 can Tomato Sauce
S&P
Vegetable Oil, enough to put into a pan for frying
--------------
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Salt & Pepper your Zucchini rounds as they sit on the paper towel. Pur your Veg oil into a dutch oven type pot. I'd say I had maybe an inch of oil in my pot - set over a medium heat. Scramble your eggs in a bowl and mix your Panko & Cheese in another. Pour your tomato's and sauce into a skillet and let it cook down over low heat. [I usually, also, dice up a clove or two of garlic and quickly sautee in some olive oil before I through in my 'maters and sauce]. Dip your Zucc's, one at a time, in your egg, let the excess drip off, then bread in your panko/cheese mixture, then into the hot oil for frying. Mine fried for about 2-3 minutes per side. They take them out and place them on a drying rack while you bread & fry the rest. I did no more than 3 in the oil at a time - you don't want to over crowd.

Once all your Zucc's are fried. place them in a baking dish. If you have more than what fit in the dish, overlap them a tad so you can get them all in. Pour in your tomato sauce. If you have extra panko/cheese mix [I did], brown it quickly for a few minutes in a pan and then take off the heat. Cook your Zucc's in the 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes and then throw your broiler on low, top with the toasted panko/cheese mix and broil for a few minutes just until the crumbs look nice and toasted!


Enjoy! I reheated the leftovers for lunch the next day and they were still delicious!!

3 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

This sounds really really great! I'm a huge fan of zucchini and we eat it all summer longer.

Lately we've been enjoying zucchini in a kind of rattatouile with onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives & cheese. I love one dish easy meals in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...always looking for more zucchini recipes! I'm afraid my zucchini might be a goner due to squash bugs, but we have a couple other plants that hopefully will produce still.

meemsnyc said...

Ooh, I never thought to use zucchini in parmesan. So yummy looking.