"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, January 9, 2012

Dark Days Challenge - Week 6 [Venison]



I mentioned yesterday that I needed to get a tad caught up on my Dark Days meals since I missed the past two weeks :0

So, last night for dinner, Allen made a Venison Pot Roast. I was a tad concerned I would go to bed hungry as his track record cooking Venison isn't exactly up there with Martha & Julia. But, I went at it with an open mind...and empty fork...and honestly, it wasn't too bad. After a few bites, truly it just tasted like the [cow] beef I am used to eating. But I kept picturing the dead deer hanging from the rafters of my garage and it kinda made me not really beg for seconds! ;)


Seriously though, if I didn't think about it, it wasn't bad. Then I think, how silly. It is just Venison. Get over it. But Vension is not something we normally eat, nor something we grew up on, so obviously, it takes some getting used to. I guess too, I don't see the animals I eat in their whole form and then butchered down so that could be part of the aversion too ;) But that could be a whole other blog post for another time!!


Carrots, potatos, onions and garlic all purchased from local farmers!

Do you eat venison? What is your favorite way to prepare it?

6 comments:

Veggie PAK said...

My favorite way is exactly the way you show it in your pictures! So good! I would add a nice Kaiser roll with butter on it. Mmmm!

Unknown said...

My whole NE family eats deer, but I have never tried it. I just can't eat certain things! I did, just recently try rabbit and I loved it.

suzanne said...

Hello Allison

A happy new year to you and your family. Allen's Christmas must have been the best for you. I just love Christmas with children..

your parcel hasn't arrived yet. i am still on the look out but will let you know when it does.

Your horse photographs are amazing~!

Stay well
Suzanne
X

Camille said...

We've been eating a ton of venison due to an abundant hunting season. I can't say it is my favorite food, but we usually make ground venison chili.
But I've recently been using it in place of beef in a beef barley soup recipe and it was pretty good.
My very favorite way that we have been cooking venison steaks is by marinading it in cranberry balsamic vinegar from Fustini's here in MI, along with tons of onion and garlic. We then pan fry it along with the marinade until just cooked through.

Here is there site. They have tons of other yummy vinegars, too.

http://www.fustinis.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=CRNBRRY

meemsnyc said...

I've never eaten venison before. I would try it though.

Chiot's Run said...

We eat only venison here at Chiot's Run as Mr Chiots is a big hunter (this year he got four). We absolutely love it!