"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, January 30, 2012

The Pizza Cook-Off


This past weekend my family held our 2nd 'sorta' annual Pizza Cook-Off!
Last year my mom was sick, so we canceled. And never got around to rescheduling.
So, hence the 'sorta' annual!

The rules are simple: each family has to bring a pizza. It cannot be store bought, however we do allow premade crusts if the cook chooses!

Hubby and I chose to each make our own :) I did make the homemade crust for both of our pies though. And I swear yeast and I have a love/hate relationship - emphasis on hate!


Above is hubby's original 'Hawaiian Pizza' - which he did from scratch, no recipe.
Below is my 'Chix Spinach Alfredo Pizza' - which I did from scratch, with a recipe :)


Each pizza had a chance to snab 15 points -- up to 5 for presentation and 10 for taste! Below is one of my sister and her family's 'Pica De Meheco' Pizza! They definitely were going for the gold in presentation!!


And....the winner of the 2nd Sorta Annual Pizza Cook-Off was.....

Allen!! God.Bless.America. for all the whining he did about how everyone was going to have a recipe to go off of...then the hours he spent making the dang thing. Like he was Picasso creating a work of art.

Here is my sister Kellie, the first years winner, handing off the trophy!


We had all kinds of pies, and of course because I forgot to change the setting on my camera, most of the pictures did not turn out good! We had a Sweet Pepper Pizza, another Mexican pizza and this lovely one below. It was called 'Under the Tuscan Sun' and then, after it cooked, it's name changed to 'Under the Tuscan Sun...too long'! HA! And yes, it was my Dad's pie :) Two doozy's two contests in a row - step up the A-game Dad!! Isn't your last name MILANO?!

Anyways, my niece was petrified of the piece of burnt pie and my brother-in-law was having a field day with it!

Cheers to another wonderful Pizza Cook-Off :)

7 comments:

meemsnyc said...

What an absolutely great and fun idea! The pizzas look amazing!

Vanessa said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Susan said...

Fun idea and there's some pretty interesting pizzas. Just in time for the Super Bowl--where pizza rules!

Ruth said...

That looks like SO much fun!!! Ooohhh, just imagine if next year you could bring a sprouted sourdough crust. ;) ;) Mmmmm! I love your blog, by the way!

Mary said...

What a fun night! I am totally impressed that your whole family got into this fun with you. That sounds like it would be a blast.

The Unusual Farmchick said...

What a fantastic idea! How fun. I have heard of chili cook offs but never really enjoyed much chili. THIS may just be an idea I have to use!

Wendy said...

what a fun fun fun thing to do!! I think I would like the mexican best too, but they all look great! We did an Iron Chef type competition a few years back. That was really great and we made some fancy freaking food that night.