"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What's Your Take?

So I am sure we've all heard by now about Paula Deen being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I have read lots of opinions on this as it's swirling the web.

Honestly, I think Paula says it best herself in the clip below - you have to be responsible for yourself. C'mon people! At the end of the day, if every meal you cook is something off one of her shows or out of one of her books, of course you are going to get fat and have health problems.

I think what really has struck me though, is the comments being made about her diagnosis being related to butter. The more I learn about 'real food', the more I realize this is an ignorant comment. Let's be real - on the diet side of the diagnosis, I think the refined grains and white sugar are the culprit  - certainly not the butter!! And lord help us all if this announcement makes people ditch their butter for margarine. Seriously - if you have margarine in your fridge, get up right now and pitch it! (Yes Mom, you too!!) That stuff is like a silent killer in a tub, happily hiding out in your fridge. And if you need any more reasoning, I did an experiment one summer with it. I rubbed it on part of the stall wall in my horse stalls to see if it would deter the flys and nats. And you know it, those bugs didn't TOUCH the areas coated in margarine.

Anyways, I am getting off topic. I am posting this because I am also interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on this whole debacle. Please, express your opinion freely, but don't hate on others if you do not agree!

Click her to see Paula make her announcement on the Today Show - for some reason, it doesn't want to post onto my blog.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Allison, I agree with you wholeheartedly--butter is not the culprit and shame on Paula Deen for suggesting it could be. She eats way too many carbs (and not the good ones) and her sugar intake is off the chart. As a food celebrity she needs to admit that her recipes are harmful and although there is a certain comfort to her dishes, moderation is always the key along with exercise. I'm waiting to hear that Ina Garten also has a problem! Maybe the next Food Network show should be devoted to teaching these overweight celebrities how to balance their recipes!
Okay, I'm off my soap box! I love you make us think about issues. XOXO

Unknown said...

I love Paula Deen and her shows but I will definitely agree that her recipes are to be enjoyed once in a while not every night. Our family tries to healthy up the recipes she shares because that lady can cook up a storm :) I don't think it's the butter I think its the sugars and maybe lack of exercise.

Vanessa said...

I don't think butter is the problem. It's all the choices people make, their lack of exercise, poor food choices, and overeating.

Mich said...

Being a Brit I have no idea who Paula Deen is but it is def going to be the processed sugar that is the culprit. All things are okay in moderation.
Have just recently found your blog and am enjoying reading it :)

Wendy said...

oh gosh. Poor Paula - not only with the diabetes, but also with the opinions out there. I personally love butter - despise the taste of margarine. i guess the goal is moderation, right?

Wendy said...

whoa, that's crazy about your experiment with rubbing butter on the stall!