"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, January 21, 2012

Link Loitering

Things I love from the past week!

****

Iron Chef Michael Symon posted this week on his facbook page about how he thinks children's menus are one of lifes worst inventions. Following up on that, Greenhouse Tavern Chef Jonathon Sawyer's wife, Amelia, wrote this blog post. KUDOS! What are your thoughts on this?

I can't wait to try this 20 minute homemade enchilada sauce! It's hard to find a recipe that doesn't call for vegetable or canola oil.



Who has heard about this blog?

This would totally be something Savannah, the farm manager, would do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids, but I do have a niece and I get to watch her parents make decisions about what to feed her. For the most part, they do a pretty good job of giving her vegetables and good choices, even if it's usually frozen broccoli and carrots.

Chicken tender things are pretty rare, and more of a treat than a regular meal option. Plus, she eats what they eat, no special meals for her. And, when she eats with us, she's encouraged (but not forced) to try the weird vegetables we cook. It was a thrill when I got her to try a roasted beet and she actually liked it. I could see her parents sigh in dread that now they'd have to learn how to cook beets.

I'm amazed at kids who grow up to some how avoid eating anything green or "scary." I know far too many adults who won't eat anything new. How boring is that?

Susan said...

Allison, thank you for the blog and recipe. I agree that our children's diets are poor and lacking in good nutrition.

Definitely, food for thought! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Parents need to stop making separate meals for their children and start preparing and ordering the same kinds of foods they are eating. In our home our son eats what we eats and we don't hear things like "I want prepackaged junk food," or, "I don't like vegetables." Of COURSE your kids will have no palette for real food if you are shoveling junk down their throats. I find that many parents are simply lazy.