"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Edible Kale?


I need your help again!
Can you tell me, is this Kale 'edible' Kale?


The title of my blog is The Life of a Novice!
I can't be an expert at everything - gesh!
Just shit shoveling....That, I know a thing or two about :)


Hubby brought home this Kale for me - it's a long story - we'll leave it at that.
At the end of the day though, we question if it is indeed, edible Kale!

And one of the main reasons I question is because I attempted to buy some potted Kale at a farmer's market last fall, until I was told it was 'ornamental' Kale, not 'edible' Kale.
Well Boo! That wasn't what I had in mind!


I wonder if it is a Red Russian Kale, but I am not sure. Do you have any tips for identifying Kale and whether or not it is an edible Kale?



5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could help but I HATE KALE - I know the big thing to do is make kale chips these days.lol expert at shit shoveling...im still laughing :)

Bee Girl said...

That looks just like my Red Russian Kale and I eat it all the time :-)

Susan said...

This actually looks like Nagoya hybrid and, although it is usually used as an ornamental, it still can be eaten. I love Kale and it's sooooooo good for you <3

Nichole said...

I've seen that called oak leaf kale and it's edible... the stalks can get very tough so eat them when they're little and pull out the larger stalks. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty certain that all brassicas can be eaten, including the leaves of broccoli and cauliflower. These look like Russian Red, or some variation, and is totally edible. Just steam it first, to soften it. :)