"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, April 12, 2012

Medicinal Wild Violets


It's that time of year again.
The Wild Violets are popping up everywhere!

In years past, I have done Wild Violet Jelly.
This year though, I wanted to try something different. I have been reading up a lot lately on all the medicinal benefits of wild forages and Wild Violets are no exception!

My niece attempts to help hubby pick Violets!


Hubby & I picking Violets

Me picking violets while hubby goes for a joy ride on the kiddie 4-Wheeler! I guess this is what he has to resort to while his is in the shop! *sigh* men....
 
This time around, I tried my hand at Wild Violet Syrup - a recipe I found over at Chiot's Run. Susy has all kinds of great info on utilizing wild violets! I am looking forward to using this syrup in my tea, especially before bed.

According to Bontanical.com, Wild Violets help aid in sleeplessness and inflammation. They also serve as a laxative; keep that in mind!

The more research I do on Wild Violets, the more I see they are recommended to help with nasty coughs. (Susy also mentions this in her post) Because the syrup I made contains honey, I don't foresee any issue taking a spoonful of this, versus some nasty over-the-counter cough syrup, for future colds!

Wild Violets are high in Vitamins A and C. And, quite simply, look so pretty covering the lawn. Iti s crazy to think some people spray them like they are weeds to get rid of them!! The Chinese use this flower to make herbal teas and in my readings, it seems there is some notes out their that the Wild Violet holds anti-microbial and insecticidal properties! Who knew?

So how about you - do you use Wild Violets for anything?

***
This post is linked up at Pennywise Platter, Monday Mania and Freaky Friday




12 comments:

Susan said...

One of my blogging friends did Wild Violet syrup last year and tried "jelly" but it didn't set and she ended up with my syrup:-D!
Ari and I would pick wild violets in his backyard, between playing ball--a memory I cherish. <3Susan

Nancy said...

Lord knows I have tons of wild violets and insomnia + achy bones. This might be something I should try.

Lol: your hubby on the 4-wheeler!

Camille said...

Violets are great for your skin, too! The leaf is wonderful when infused in a carrier oil, like coconut or jojoba. It is very soothing and healing. I like to also dry violets to use in tea blends or sprinkle them on salads :)

Unknown said...

Ohhh thanks for the tips, Camille!

katiegirl said...

So far I only feed them to the rabbits...but I may try syrup!

Anonymous said...

Hi
--Dad

Vanessa said...

I agree with you I think they look pretty in the yard!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

... something new for me ! Thank you .

Real Food Freaks said...

hmmm, I will have to forage my yard to see if I have any violets. I am always worried that I will find something that looks like what I want but is poisonous. My community was an old farm once so I am pretty sure that anything that grows here has bad stuff from the pesticides used. I wonder how long it takes for the ground to recover?

Zara rae said...

Wild Violet in the form of oil is an excellent skin moisturizer, especially on rough areas around the ankle, knees and elbows. It is also used in message oils and because of its calming effect can result as a natural sedater; considering headaches and insomnia. Also an excellent blend with pumpkin oil if massaged on the head, perhaps right before going to bed.

Hope that's something!

Zara rae said...

Wild Violet in the form of oil is an excellent skin moisturizer, especially on rough areas around the ankle, knees and elbows. It is also used in message oils and because of its calming effect can result as a natural sedater; considering headaches and insomnia. Also an excellent blend with pumpkin oil if massaged on the head, perhaps right before going to bed.

Hope that's something!