"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, April 9, 2012

Welcome, Ladies!


Guess what?


The chickies are here!
We picked them up this morning.


6 Golden Buff laying hens*.
*Well, they better all end up being hens!


Everyone wanted a turn checking out the new farm residents.


And it has been quite the day. Trying to handle them. And figure out which temperature they like best. Then figuring out which bulbs keep the heat consistent the best. Let me tell you - I am not wild about having a heat lamp on. And right now we're sitting at a balmy 92-ish degrees Fahrenheit.

More to come on this new adventure soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this is exciting, they are so adorable. Are they frail to take care of? LOL who knew in such hot temps they still need a heat lamp. This will be fun to see them grow!

Unknown said...

Hi Hound Girl!
Our weather here right now is inthe 50's and are house is usually kept cooler :) So, it is like a heat wave when we walk into the bathroom where they are being kept :) They seem frail, but we're getting the hang of it. As long as you keep them warm, but not too warm [!], they seem to take care of themselves for the most part!

Susan said...

Amazing beauties! My sister calls her hens "Ladies" too and I love to her her talk about their antics. I wish we could have chickens here--I miss the memories. <3Susan

Mary said...

They are so cute. I want my own already! How long will you keep them in the house?

Unknown said...

Mary - we are guessing 3-ish weeks until all there feathers are in to keep them adequately warm outside :) In three weeks, I am sure I will be more than ready to get them out of my bathroom!!!!