"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, May 2, 2012

More Fruit Trees


We have bit the bullet and are finally adding some more fruit trees to our orchard.
This has been something we have wanted to do since we moved in and started maintaining it. But, for various reasons, we just haven't. Until now.

And of course we can't just buy fruit trees and be done with it. There has to be a story involved.


Almost 2 weeks ago, I was at a local store doing some shopping. They had a small bunch of fruit trees for sale on their sidewalk. I told hubby about it and suggested that if he had time the following day, after he cashed his paycheck, that he should swing by and see if there are any he likes and can fit in his van to bring home.

The next day, on his way to check out the trees, he called me. He wanted to know how many he should get and what kinds. Does anyone else ever have this problem with their husband? He knows the answers to the questions, yet it just NEEDS to you tell him anyways.

So, to make a long story short, the crutch of our conversation was that he was to purchase no more then 4 trees, and whatever he chose to get, at least get a cherry tree. I have a lot of inquiries from people interested in cherries. You got that - CHERRY TREE.
Get.a.cherry.tree.

So of course, he had to call me again, while he was there, staring at the trees, to tell me the different varieties available. The crutch of this conversation was 'Sure, a Bradford Pear tree sounds good, definitely snatch one of those Winesap Apple trees and GET A CHERRY TREE'.

You guessed it. He called me...AGAIN...after he made his purchase.
He bought 8 trees, none of which were a CHERRY TREE.

I am sorry, what part of our 900 conversations did he not understand?

He bought 2 Winesaps - check
He bought the Bradford Pear trees - check
He purchased an additional 4 trees - plums & peaches, no cherries - no check.

These 8 trees better grow freaking $100 bills!

Oh wait, those Bradford Pear trees that I told him to get [as in, he only bought them because I told him to, but I also said GET A DAMN CHERRY TREE, and he didn't], yeah, those Bradford Pears aren't an edible Pear!

This is rather hilarious since we try to consider ourselves fruit farmers.

So I returned the Pear Trees and bought my FREAKING CHERRY TREES.
And now, the new dilemma begins - just where do we want to plant them.

Ladies, please raise your hand if your husband puts you through ridiculous, unnecessary charades of the likes. Male readers - I apologize in advance for any sterotype that has evolved from this blog post.

8 comments:

Tami said...

Raising my hand..."Preach on Sister!"

Your hubby and mine may have been seperated at birth. And I was laughing at the purchase of bradford pears....giggling

CrankyPuppy said...

LOL. Sometimes I wonder how they dress themselves without our help. :-)

As I was reading your post, I was thinking "I wonder if she knows that Bradford Pear trees don't actually have edible fruit", so glad that you found that out. They are beautiful trees, but you have to have a female tree to get the beautiful flowers every spring, and they are super soft wood. We lost ours to a late Spring snowfall.

Susan said...

You are preaching to the Choir! Do they do this to irritate us or are they just incapable of listening;-D My hubby asks me the same questions over and over again and wonders why after the 10th or 12th time I just throw up my hands and say, "I should have done it myself!" XOXO

RooosterChick said...

{raises two hands and shouts} AMEN!

RooosterChick said...

{raises her hands and shouts} AMEN!

~Jen said...

At Christmas time I had Casey get me bags of chocolate chips. The list read 4 bags of chips: 2 milk chocolate, 2 peanut butter. Notice the colon?! He didn't, I got 4+2+2=8 bags of chocolate chips! Like $22!!! And I'm not much of a baker ;)

Vanessa said...

Haha, we have a bradford pear tree and as I began reading this I thought oh no that's not a fruit tree.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you figured out that Bradford Pears trees are ornamental only before you planted them! Good luck with the cherry trees :)