"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, May 5, 2012

Why I Won't Be Drinking a Julep


I am re-posting this from last May.


The Horse Racing industry is not a glamours place for a horse to be. 
I will not be supporting the derby this weekend.


At the time of publishing this blog post, this girl stands in the #10 feedlot at the Camelot Auction in New Jersey praying someone saves her from slaughter and gives her a good home. She is the great granddaughter of Secretariat and grand daughter of Thunder Gulch -- she raced 7 times and won -- but none of that matters now. Now she is facing slaughter....unless an angel steps up to give her a wonderful forever home.

Seriously. DO NOT SUPPORT HORSE RACING. Trust me when I tell you, behind the scenes is not Juleps and Pretty Hats for the horses.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh gosh, Allison, I didn't know. I did remark to my husband today that I never noticed how the jockeys used crops to hit the horses. I don't remember seeing them in the movie Secretariat. Horse racing owners should be ashamed of themselves, but then I find that with every animal when its owner is tired of it!

Anonymous said...

That's pretty much true for any "industry" that involves animals.

I hope #579 finds a forever home - she has a very intelligent eye.

Camille said...

This is so sad...