"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, May 17, 2012

Recipe: Portabella Feta Wraps

I made these for lunch over the weekend - they were fabulous - yes, fabulous! Even my husband, who rarely considers anything a meal if meat of some kind is not included, gave a 2 thumbs up! It's my own take on a 1 similar recipes I found in a BHG Cookbook I have.

Clearly I can't take photos of food and make it look like something you'd want to eat!

Feta Portabella Wraps


4 - 6 flour tortillas (depending on the size of your tortillas, you may need 4, possibly 6)
1 package slice Portabella's (or probably 3 large Portabella heads, sliced)
2 cloves garlic
1 1/4 cup white beans - navy or cannellini work well
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & Pepper
Feta Cheese
Italian Dressing
Greens - I used Romain Lettuce and Chard I had out in the garden

***

Place your Portabella slices on a broiler pan, brush them with Italian dressing and let them sit while you prepare the spread.

Put your beans and garlic cloves into a food processor and blend it together. Slowly add the oil as you do this. Add enough to reach your desired consistency. Splash with lemon juice, s&p to taste and give another blend.

Broil your Portabella slices 6-8 minutes, turning about half way through the cooking time. I had my broiler set to high.

Lay out your tortillas, spread your bean mixture on each, lay greens on top of the bean spread, take your finished Portabella slices and lay them over the greens, sprinkle with feta cheese, drizzle some more Italian dressing over them and roll your tortillas.

That's it! So simple - so good! We had one half a tortilla left over; I wrapped it in wax paper and ate it the next day, cold, and it was still delicious!

Don't get stuck in a boring PB&J lunch rut! Try these soon!


***
This post is linked up at Freaky Friday




3 comments:

~TastyTravels~ said...

This looks yummy! I'm totally gonna try this recipe out!

Jen said...

Wow, I love the use of portabella mushrooms! Might make these with rice flour wraps. Thanks for sharing!

The Starved Idiot said...

love this - looks quick, easy and tasty to boot!