"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Week in the Life of a Horse Rescuer

I had a crazy busy day again today and so that didn't leave much time for a new blog post. I thought I would share this write-up I did for the horse rescue's last membership newsletter that went out.

Ever wonder what it’s like to be one of those who field the majority of the calls that come in for H.O.P.E.?

Let me tell you, it can be DE-PRESS-ING! Especially this time of year. Pastures die down and *gasp* horses need hay and so the phone starts ringing off the hook.

I think it is fair to say that we usually maintain a pretty steady call (and email) volume for horses in need. But, when the temperature outside drops, that steady volume multiplies big time.

It becomes depressing because you want to be able to save each and every horse you receive a call on, but realistically, it just isn’t possible. With today’s economy the way it is, sometimes the calls make me more sad, rather than angry. Sometimes it isn’t some irresponsible person trying to pawn off a horse they starved but rather a loving family whose been dealt a few bad cards and they can’t bear to part with their four legged family member, but they have no choice if they are going to continue to feed themselves. These are the calls that make me feel so helpless.

The calls I get late at night telling me we NEED to pick up horses in the morning or they go to Sugarcreek; Those are the calls that make me infuriated.

Regardless, there are so many horses out there right now that need us… that need H.O.P.E. So that’s what I do. I do my best to give these horses hope when whomever it is that makes the call in regards to their future is told we have no immediate openings. I tell them we can get the horse on the wait list, but I cannot guarantee a time frame. I tell them to contact other rescues seeing if any of them have immediate openings, and I send them some names.

But with your help, we can give more H.O.P.E.! By you helping to spread the word about our organization, we can get more horses adopted and into foster homes, in turn allowing us to save more in need. So I challenge you, even in these hard economic times, don’t forget to "Give H.O.P.E." and pave the way for another horse in need!

2 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Great write up. I agree that many people out there are good people with good intentions but things get to a point and there is just no more money. That is different then people who chose not to feed a horse, hoard them, or abuse or neglect them.
This winter especially, as I'm blanketing my horse and tucking him in with hay for the night, I always get a vision of starving horses out there, standing in pastures with nothing, and I get really angry and upset and feel helpless. It's great to know there are such great rescue organizations out there to help these wonderful animals!

Got It From My Mama said...

It's so sad when decent people have to give up their horse because of finance. The rescue organizations deserve lots of praise for their good work.