"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, April 5, 2010

Fighting Frustration, Finding Motivation

I don't want to 'complain' about my day job. I consider myself lucky that I have a steady paying job with a stable company that provides me with a paycheck. Especially with all those out there that need jobs and cannot find one. I have a nice boss who tolerates my craziness, bringing in sick kittens to work and having them roam my office or understanding what I do here on the farm. She used to live on a Dairy farm - she gets it.

When I get up in the morning, I am gung-ho, ready to go and get the day started. (Ok, after my coffee). I get to work and get moving all the while making a mental to-do list and thinking about all the things I need to and will do when I get home. (And thinking of how much I could accomplish if I WAS home!) Especially now, during the Spring, when so much needs done. But it never fails, by the time 3:30ish rolls around, I have yet one more hour left at work and am worn down. My enthusiasm and eagerness to get home and work till I drop has faded. And I am sad; I want to do everything on my mental to do list, but physically, I am spent.

This is why it stinks sometimes to have hobbies you are so passionate about, that require 24 hours of your time a day if possible, but still have to go to a day job. It eats my mojo - know what I mean? I would LOVE to work sun up to sun down, day in and day out, outside on our farm. But the sad reality is, we couldn't afford it, at least not right away, if we didn't have those darn day jobs to pay for it. I would love for at least one of us to get to a position where our day job IS the farm, but I don't know if and when that would ever happen.

Weekends are too short. We should switch, 5-day weekend & 2 day work week. Sounds productive to me :)

So when I come home, and I am burnt out before I even start, overwhelmed, frustrated and aggravated, this is where I go to relieve my stress.


1 comment:

softearthart said...

Hi, You can not do everything, you must pace yourself,it is enough to do one small chore when you come home, make sure that you eat and drink something really nourishing just before you leave work, to revive you,have a 5 minute cat nap on the bed before you start the home stuff, love and light Marie