"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Sunday, April 4, 2010

Treasured Pieces

Happy Easter! We'll be venturing off the farm today from family to family! Allen dug up some Lilac seedlings from the farm to give to his sisters for Easter. My mom came yesterday and took hers and she dug up our rose bushes. We've decided to use the area where the roses were as an herb garden so my mother, the self proclaimed plant saver, came and took them. It was sad to see them go, but I am not a big rose person and would make better use of the area with all our herbs. My mom has a wonderful 'woodland garden' surrounding her home so they'll fit in just fine there!

Yesterday Allen brought home some treasures from his grandmothers house. Please excuse the pictures! Most are from my cell; the camera ran out of batteries :/

This bookshelf is my FAVORITE! I have been searching for something like this in antique stores forever. We washed it down with some Murphy's oil soap and then lustored it up with some Old English!

He also brought home this wonderful old cedar chest. It opens from the top and smells wonderful, like cedar ;), inside. We've decided to set it by the back sliding door so we can store all our hats, gloves and things of that nature in it. It also comes in handy to sit on when your getting geared up to head outside!

This piece, I am told, is circa late 1800's and was originally used as a wash station. Allen remembers his grandma storing soap and towels in it. And it smells like soap ;) I put a sachet of homegrown lavender in the drawer :) It is SO cute. Right now it is sitting in front of my large kitchen/dining area window. (Yes, that is Apollo sticking his head out his window in the background - look closely!) We're going to transplant all our herbs out from the grow light and into clay pots and set them on here (well... what will fit!) to soak in some natural sunlight!


And, this is my present from the Easter Bunny. He went all the way to Apolloson Acres to pick this bouquet for me!

No comments: