"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Random Mid-Week Ramblings

Thank goodness this hump day is almost over ... this week has been draggin' for me. Hubby has been on vacation and even though he has spent 98.9% of his time working on the farm, I am still jealous. I'd rather be doing that too instead of going to work!

Monday evening after all was done, we transplanted our herbs into larger pots to prep them for the great outdoors! I also failed to mentioned that when we moved them [while in their trays] to this spot you see them in now, on Sunday, when we came home from visiting family, Maggie had dumped one of them and then made a MESS out of it. Hence the chairs you may notice blocking the herbs off in this pic. I was a tad peeved but we should have know better. I did loose a few onion plants in her massacre :(


We've got some Italian, Sweet and Purple Basil in there as well as Cilantro, Oregano, Parley, Sage, Rosemary, Dill and Thyme.

This evening we planted our tomato, tomatillo and eggplant seeds. The eggplant is Slim Jim variety courtesy of Daphne's Dandelions.

Allen finished all pruning that needed done in the orchard and also got half of the rows prunings picked up off the ground.

We have a lot of trees already almost past the half inch green stage so I am not sure that we'll be able to get the oil on. I am not too concerned as last year we also missed oiling; we didn't have the tractor or sprayer in time.



Apple Ready to Blossom


Pear Buds
And of course, it wouldn't be a normal couple of months if I didn't get a call about a loose animal in my yard while at work *sigh* You can read about past mishaps here and here.
This time I knew the caller [Allen] and the culprit [Whinny]. Allen seemed more relaxed than usual...ok, except when Whinny got close to the pasture since the horses were out.....and from what I understand, she even took repeated dives into the SWAMP back in the woods. From what I also understand, Allen also had his cell to try and capture a picture!?
Of course, after 45 minutes of playing cat and mouse, he gave up, went back to the house, started the truck, got Mossy in, and went driving back to look for her. As soon as he spotted her again, he revved the truck engine, said "Whinny let's go bye-bye" and the rest is history. She came running, jumped right in, gave her daddy a sad puppy dog look and they went home....to shower.

No comments: